The Texas Board of Professional Engineers
March 6, 2017
Engineering Express Printed Newsletter
The new newsletter is hot off the press and will be in mailboxes soon. Read it here now.
Board Meeting Update
The Texas Board of Professional Engineers Quarterly Board and Committee Meetings were held February 15-16, 2017. Highlights include the following:
- Proposed Board Rule Changes - The Board proposed amendments to the rules identified below. Comments can be made online starting March 10, 2017 until April 10, 2017 at: http://engineers.texas.gov/proposed.htm.
- §139.35(b) Sanctions and Penalties - The proposed rule change removes rule language that is no longer in effect. This change implements the requirements of House Bill 2439 passed by the 84th Texas legislature in 2015, which removed the special roster of engineers qualified to be windstorm inspectors.
- §137.19 Engineers Qualified to be Texas Windstorm Inspectors - The proposed rule repeal removes rule language that is no longer in effect. This change implements the requirements of House Bill 2439 passed by the 84th Texas Legislature in 2015, which removed the special roster of engineers qualified to be windstorm inspectors.
- Policy Advisory Opinion #41 - (Firm Registration) - The advisory refers to the existing requirements for utilizing other resources of a parent company from other international locations. Follow the link to review the Board's response: http://www.engineers.texas.gov/policy.htm#pao41
- Video Clips - Video recordings of the Board meeting are available at: http://engineers.texas.gov/recordings.htm. Viewing these recordings qualifies for continuing education credit under the category of self-directed study. A maximum of five credit hours may be accrued for self-directed study.
Disciplinary Actions - All enforcement actions approved in the board meeting are posted on the TBPE website. Enforcement actions are reported based on the date of the Board meeting at which the actions were taken.
Refer to: http://engineers.texas.gov/disciplinary.htm.
Webinars and Outreach
TBPE continues to offer ethics outreach presentations both in person and in a webinar format for the convenience of our licensees. The free webinars have been so well received that we are now adding additional events as needed. If you are interested in scheduling a live TBPE ethics presentation at your workplace, refer to our outreach page at: http://engineers.texas.gov/outreach.
- Ethics Webinars
March 8, 2017 or March 9, 2017 - These quarterly webinars provide an up-to-date overview of agency activities, case studies, and a review of professional ethics topics. Ethics webinars are held approximately one month prior to each quarterly expiration date. Register here: https://engineers.texas.gov/webinars.html.
Additional ethics webinars have been scheduled for June 15, 2017, September 6, 2017 and December 6, 2017. Registration links will be posted 30 days prior to each event at: https://engineers.texas.gov/webinars.html.
Dream Big: Engineering Our World
Dream Big is the first giant-screen film to answer the call of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) initiative, which aims to inspire kids of diverse backgrounds to become the innovators who will improve the lives of people across our entire planet as we head into the 21st Century and beyond. For more information and to find a showing near you, visit http://www.dreambigfilm.com/.
Give us feedback on how we are doing by filling out our customer service survey. Please visit our website at http://engineers.texas.gov/feedback or call us for a paper survey. We want to hear your suggestions on how we can improve agency operations and service delivery. In keeping with our efforts to modernize and increase communication with our licensees and the public, you can now follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and via an RSS feed. Join today!
To contact the Board, please visit our website at: http://engineers.texas.gov/staff_contact.htm
Texas Board of Professional Engineers
1917 S. Interstate 35
Austin, TX 78741
TBPE Board Members
Daniel O. Wong, Ph.D., P.E. - Chair
Sockalingam "Sam" Kannappan, P.E. - Vice-Chair
Dr. Sina K. Nejad, D.Eng., P.E. - Secretary
Edward L. Summers, Ph.D. - Treasurer
Lamberto (Bobby) Ballí, P.E.
R. Kyle Womack, P.E.
Cathy Norwood, P.E.