The Texas Board of Professional Engineers' (TBPE)
December 9, 2015
Board Meeting Update
The Texas Board of Professional Engineers Quarterly Board and Committee Meetings were held November 18-19, 2015. Highlights include the following:
- Disciplinary Actions -All enforcement actions approved in the board meeting are posted on the TBPE website. Enforcement actions are reported based on the date of the board meeting at which the actions were taken. Refer to:http://engineers.texas.gov/disciplinary.htm
- Video Clips -Viewing these recordings qualifies for continuing education credit under the category of self-directed study. A maximum of five credit hours may be accrued for self-directed study. Stream video of the Board Meeting by clicking on the link at http://engineers.texas.gov/recordings.htm.
Board Rule Changes
Rule changes were necessary as a result of recent statute changes from the Legislative Session. These rules are effective December 14, 2015 and will be available on the website. Changes include the following:
- Removal of the $200 Professional Fee
- New Options for Military Service Members
- Revised State Contract Guidelines
Decoupling P.E. Exam from Experience
Additional proposed rules will be posted on December 18, 2015 for comment. These rule changes will "decouple" the P.E. examination from the experience requirements from licensure. The intent of these changes is to promote licensure of qualified engineers by allowing applicants to take the PE exam at an earlier stage of the application process and keep young engineers engaged in the process without reducing the requirements for licensure. Additional information on decoupling can be found at: http://engineers.texas.gov/decoupling.html
Webinars and Outreach
TBPE continues to offer ethics outreach presentations both in person and in a webinar format for the convenience of our licensees. The free webinars have been so well received that we are now adding additional events as needed.
- Each webinar is limited to 1,000 attendees. Registration links for all webinars are posted at http://engineers.texas.gov/webinar.
- If you are interested in scheduling a live TBPE ethics presentation at your workplace, refer to our outreach page at: http://engineers.texas.gov/outreach.
International Professional Engineering Licensure Models:
Texas and Spain December 14, 2015, 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. CST This joint presentation by the Colegio de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos (CICCP) in Spain and the Texas Board of Professional Engineers (TBPE) in the U.S. will describe the current licensure process for professional engineers in each jurisdiction. The intended audience is Spanish engineers interested in licensure in Texas and American engineers (licensed in Texas) interested in licensure in Spain.Note: This webinar does not count towards continuing education credit. To register for this webinar, refer to: http://engineers.texas.gov/webinar
Upcoming Ethics Webinars
These quarterly webinars provide an up-to-date overview of agency activities, case studies, and a review of professional ethics topics. Webinars will be held approximately one month prior to each quarterly expiration date. P.E.s renewing the quarter of the webinar will be sent an email notification of the upcoming event. Events for 2016 have not been scheduled yet. Refer to the previously mentioned webinar webpage above for dates and registration links as they are available.
Give us feedback on how we are doing by filling out our customer service survey. Please visit our website at http://engineers.texas.gov/feedback or call us for a paper survey. We want to hear your suggestions on how we can improve agency operations and service delivery. In keeping with our efforts to modernize and increase communication with our licensees and the public, you can now follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and via an RSS feed. Join today!
NOTE: This email was sent from an unmonitored mailbox; direct replies will not be read. To contact the Board, please visit our website at: http://engineers.texas.gov/staff_contact.htm
Texas Board of Professional Engineers
1917 S. Interstate 35 Austin, TX 78741